Newsmap is an application that visually reflects the constantly changing landscape of the Google News news aggregator.
A treemap visualization algorithm helps display the enormous amount of information gathered by the aggregator. Treemaps are traditionally space-constrained visualizations of information. Newsmap's objective takes that goal a step further and provides a tool to divide information into quickly recognizable bands which, when presented together, reveal underlying patterns in news reporting across cultures and within news segments in constant change around the globe.
Newsmap's objective is to simply demonstrate visually the relationships between data and the unseen patterns in news media.
Read more about newsmap at Marcos Weskamp's portfolio site
Newsmap received an Award of distinction at Prix Ars Electronica 2004
concept, design and coding:
Marcos Weskamp firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treemaps at the University of Maryland
- Treemap Implementations and Applications
- Treemaps for space-constrained visualization of hierarchies
- Stuart K. Card, Jock D. Mackinlay, and Ben Shneiderman. 1999 Readings in Information Visualization: Using Vision to Think
- And of course, smartmoney.com